ORGANISATIONAL SETTING & REPORTING
These two positions are with the Office of Administrative Services (OAS) of The International Seabed Authority (ISA) located in Kingston, Jamaica. The Communications and Information Technology Assistant will be based in Kingston, Jamaica. The Information Technology Assistant will report directly to the Communications and Information Technology Manager and under the overall supervision of the Director of Administrative Services.
Within the limits of delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
Server and Telecommunications Operations and Administration:
- Assists in the installation, configuration, testing and deployment of server hardware and software, including Local Area Network, Operating Systems, Database systems, Internet Web software, firewall, Domain Name Server (DNS), DHCP, mail relay, Identity Services Engine (ISE), Cisco network switches and NG firewalls, Electronic Video Surveillance and CCTV operations, and various security software.
- Assists in the installation and testing for commissioning various telecommunications equipment providing telephony services; monitors and tests the daily electronic operations of PABX equipment and affects corrections as required; prepares wiring layouts documentation, supervising and tests cable plants; programs hardware and software of telephony equipment; wiring diagrams, etc.
- Prepares recurring reports on telephone accounts, noting problems resulting from excess expenditure; Calculates and compiles cost estimates and projected budget requirements and assists in preparation of budget and audit reports.
- Performs administration, operation, technical support, and monitoring of server and communication systems.
- Undertakes troubleshooting of server and telephone systems. If the problem persists, escalates to higher level in accordance with procedures.
- Liaises with official from service provider, UN agencies, Funds and Program staff members in connection with telephone-related matters ensuring they are in compliance with standing instructions and procedures to avoid abuse of telephone system.
- Prepares business-related memoranda and facsimile correspondence in response to queries from Telephone Service Provider companies, Internet providers and staff members;
- Performs 24×7 operations of assigned systems.
- Assists in identifying the need for new systems or re-engineering of the existing systems.
- Assists in deploying/configuring systems so as to conform to infrastructure standards.
- Collects various statistics on the performance and reliability of server and communication systems, and produces pertinent reports.
- Maintains the documentation of server and communication systems, pertinent to operations and system administration.
- Prepares, maintains, and updates files (electronic and paper) and internal databases.
Service Installation and Support:
- Performs tasks related to scheduled service requests, including equipment replacement, equipment installation/de-installation, software installation, LAN and PABX connection, returns to stock, site surveys, etc.
- Performs quality assurance procedures to ensure client satisfaction.
- Diagnoses and resolves any hardware, software, or connectivity problem with minimum delay.
- Drafts end-user and/or technical documentation.
- Escalates problems/tasks to the appropriate parties in accordance with established procedure.
- Detects problem patterns and recommends solutions.
- Logs all actions in the automated tracking system, including site survey information, steps taken to resolve problem or to complete task, problems encountered, current status, etc
- Provides advice to clients regarding ICTS standards and workflow processes.
- Addresses complaints, anomalies, queries and clarifications on the billing procedures and structures in an efficient, effective and polite manner.
- Ensures that clear and accurate records of all telephone accounts, documentation and invoices are maintained; provides managers with this information on a regular basis.
Procurement and Logistics:
- Receive, unpacks, and inspects all incoming assets.
- Enters assets and asset transactions into the automated inventory management system in accordance with established procedure.
- Oversees issues/return/handover of SIM cards for all service providers (Mobile phone companies and satellite based telephone companies) and ensures that inventory records are accurately maintained.
- Assumes responsibility for the stock of all satellite and mobile phones purchased for the Authority; monitors the physical inventory of stocked items on a regular basis to ensure accuracy of records and location of property;
- Obeys and enforces all security procedures.
- Performs more complex hardware and software configuration tasks such as creating standard images.
- Sorts, compiles, and stores equipment in accordance with work orders and/or equipment condition.
- Prepares and releases equipment for service requests.
- Recommends acquisition of hardware, software, devices, tools, etc. to facilitate work.
Audio/Visual Conference Services:
- Installs and assists in testing and commissioning various videoconference equipment;
- Monitors and tests the daily electronic operations of ISA videoconference equipment, including the quality of transmission facilities and affect corrections as required.
- Conducts on-going analysis of videoconference equipment to ensure proper operation and to determine if modifications are necessary.
- Receives, tests, and installs technology and videoconference hardware and software;
- Performs maintenance and minor repairs on videoconference equipment.
- Programs hardware and software parameters of videoconference equipment.
- Gathers and analyzes statistical data on operational performance of videoconference equipment.
- Drafts documentation and reports.
- Occasionally supervises a team of staff for specific projects; provides guidance and training to new/junior staff.
- Liaises with other areas of ICTS, focal points, and staff of the Permanent Missions.
- Performs other duties as required.
a) May be required to lift, move, mount, or store equipment weighing up to 50 lbs, or up to 80 pieces of equipment occasionally.
b) May be required to work on shift assignments on weekdays to maintain the service coverage from 07:00 to 20:00.
c) Occasionally, the incumbent may be required to work ad-hoc assignments during evenings, nights or early mornings of working days as well as holidays and weekends.
d) May be required to visit user’s premises to resolve problems on their servers or desktop PCs.
e) May require the ability to cope with the working conditions of the Data Centre where the level of noise and electro-magnetic fields may be slightly higher than the normal office environment while the temperature may be lower.
PROFESSIONALISM: Advanced knowledge of the Microsoft server and desktop environment used within the secretariat. Knowledge in breadth and in depth, as the unit is very small and very often the incumbent will have little supervision. Ability to work under pressure and independently. As this is a very small unit, ability to work unsupervised to make independent decision is valued. Ability to work in an international environment with staff members from various cultural backgrounds. Ability to respond to changing requirements and assignments, ability to apply good judgement in the context of assignments given. Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Certifications in Cisco, ISE, ITIL and Microsoft are desirable.
BSc Computer Science or Information Technology is desirable.
Entry level qualifications such as CompTIA Security+. CCNA/CCNA Security is an advantage.
A minimum of 7 years of experience in information and communication technology or related area. Specifically, experience in:
- CISCO networking and security;
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008R2 and higher Administration;
- Microsoft desktop administration and productivity products;
- Telecommunications (PABX) systems
- SharePoint development and administration;
- Wireless technology. Network infrastructure;
- Storage Area Network
- VMware vSphere 6 +
- VEEAM 9+ Backup and Replication system
- System development methodology procedures.
English and French are the working languages of the International Seabed Authority. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
Candidates may undergo a substantive and a competency-based interview. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- The selected candidate will be subject to a reference verification process in accordance with the ISA policy. The process will include but is not limited to, verification of the information provided in the personal history form and a criminal record check. All candidates should be in a position to submit electronic copy of their passport and all diplomas listed on their profile when requested;
- Applicants may check the status of vacancies on ISA web-site;
- Only nationals of ISA Member States are eligible for consideration;
- Consideration is given to achieving diverse gender, geographical and economic representation at the ISA, to the extent possible;
- The ISA reserves the right to not make any appointment to the vacancy, and/or to make an appointment at a lower level from the one advertised.