Nauru Ocean Resources Inc (NORI) in accordance with its exploration contract for polymetallic nodules with the International Seabed Authority is offering two (2) at-sea on-board placements to candidates (one to a candidate from a developing States and the other to a candidate from Nauru) interested in marine science and in particular physical and chemical oceanography and/or seafloor sampling and/or geotechnical work.
The 4-6 week offshore exploration campaign will be in partnership Maersk Supply Services and will be conducted within the NORI contract area in the Clarion Clipperton Zone. The port of departure will be San Diego (USA). The exact dates of the campaign are to be confirmed in 2019 and candidates will be provided with 2 to 3 months’ notice prior to the campaign taking place.
Candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Education: Possess a relevant bachelor’s degree in marine science (and in particular physical and chemical oceanography); or have an equivalent educational background;
- Demonstrate an interest in the seafloor minerals industry and ocean sustainability, this could be from an environmental, engineering, or scientific perspective;
- Language: Demonstrate a sound knowledge of English; and
- Other: Be able to secure a VISA to the United States of America.
At the end of the training, trainees will be required to submit a short report to NORI and the Authority outlining the training completed; the benefits of the training opportunity; the knowledge gained; and how the training will advance their career or interest in the seafloor minerals industry.
NORI undertakes to cover the costs associated with the training:
- Travel, accommodation, VISA costs and meals;
- Offshore survival training;
- Danish medical (required to work on Maersk vessels); and
- Any reasonable out-of-pocket expenses incurred by the candidate in relation to this training programme.
Applications should be submitted by the 28 February 2019 deadline through:
- the online training portal. Users applying through the online portal (see below), must remember to upload a copy of a passport photo, the signed nomination form, degree/certificate, résumé/CV and other supporting document; OR
- via email, in one of the official languages of the Authority, to email@example.com using the forms below.
Application must be accompanied by:
- Application Forms (docx | pdf) to be completed by the applicant;
- Nomination Form ( docx | pdf ) to be completed by the institution or governmental department;
- Copy of degree certificate;
- Proof of proficiency in English;
- Copy of CV or Résumé; and
- A one-page statement of purpose demonstrating interest in the seafloor minerals industry and ocean sustainability (this could be from an environmental, engineering, or scientific perspective)
One of the Voluntary Commitments made by the ISA at the UN Ocean Conference 2017 was “Enhancing the role of women in marine scientific research through capacity building” – we therefore strongly encourage suitably qualified females to apply for these training opportunities.